Hello everyone. Welcome back to our PIOneERS blog, I hope you are enjoying reading more about our experiment. Well, I guess you are, otherwise you wouldn’t be reading this. In the upcoming weeks we’ll be introducing you to the team members of PIOneERS and what they’re doing for the experiment. We’re starting this week with out team leader Jonathan:

So, as you probably remember from the previous posts, I am Jonathan Camilleri, and my role within the PIOneERS experiment is that of project manager and science lead.

I have to admit I never imagined myself enjoying management work. Ever. However, in the last few months I have learned a lot, and really enjoyed myself within the PIOneERS team. My job as project manager mainly involves making sure that all the tasks required to be done to ensure a successful experiment are delegated to the right people, at the right times to stop any delays. I also take care of the budgeting for the experiment, and the logistics in organising the manufacturing, assembly, and testing of the experiment and components prior to launch. My role also involves ensuring that we attend to the respective activities organised around Europe as part of the REXUS programme. It has been loads of fun so far, and I cannot wait for us to go for our CDR in a few weeks time.

The second role I occupy within the team is that of scientific lead. My PhD project is the ImP (Ionospheric Electron Density Impedance Probe) seen in the experiment. It was around a year ago when, upon a suggestion by my PhD supervisor, I performed a feasibility study to see if it made any sense to test the ImP on board a sounding rocket flight such as REXUS. Once we concluded that the REXUS experiment is feasible, we instantly scrambled to get the first few team members, Lucy, Matthew, and Mashiat involved. Back then, before even submitting our application for the REXUS programme, we had started designing our experiment properly, while I kept working on the development of the ImP sensor. Now that all of the preliminary studies and schematics have been completed, it is time to start thinking of manufacturing it, and performing the first initial tests over the summer.

You cannot imagine how happy I am now, to see a team of twelve people, working hard to ensure all the parts of this experiment work properly, so that we could the results we hope for. Not forgetting… you know… it’s helping me get my PhD. I cannot thank everyone enough.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *